My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore, Philippines

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

My Technophobia

I'm havin my last exam for 2004 tomorrow, bu-bu-but I've been here sitting butt aching, skipping from online shops and classifieds to useless chat rooms... just to catch a glimpse of the best deal for an apple powerbook or perhaps even a pearl white ibook.

There's been some funny thoughts running through my head lately; it seems I've seen it once or twice in a magazine or a digi-column...the only difference is... it's my name spelled out this time: The new macintosh man of Asia: Pamela Almeda!!!

Yes! I've been entertaining the idea of swapping roles with Mr. Peter Barber (The Macintosh Man of Asia, they say); toying with the idea of facilitating the topmost post production facilities of the region; dreaming of these crunchy treats: the Pismos,the ipods and all the delicious apple gizmos available.

I remember the first time I laid my eyes (and hands) on this lovely 15" powerbook which my friend lent me a few months back... it was love at first sight (you can say that)! The sexy titanium design topped with that slim lightweight feel and the sleek widescreen made me fall for this macintosh.

It was my first bite on the apple.

Two to three years ago you would never hear me talk like this. Funny, how I amaze myself at times. I mean, I've never seen myself as someone tech-savvy nor someone interested in all the techie trinkets this modern world can offer. For one, I have this trauma with computers.
Back then in my early high school days, I had all these bad experiences with my computer. It was a nauseating relationship and I hated electronics stuff since then. Think about this: you've typed a twenty page report and for some reason your computer blanks out on ya. Sounds familiar? I'm sure one or two of you can relate to what I'm saying, the Philippine energy crises, halloooo!

But my computer did not only give up on me during these times. On strange occassions, as if echoing our mutual disgust for each other, it would simply decide to hang, to make strange & irritating noises, to suddenly reboot or shut down, and if I'm lucky it would have had auto-saved my work. Unfortunately I was most often than not, UNlucky. I would crawl myself to the cranky Brother typewriter which nevertheless had the automatic erase feature and think: why on earth didn't I work here earlier on. But there were also lotsa times that Brother acted just like Mr. PC. And there I'd wish I was living in the stone age or probably in ancient times when hieroglyphics was hot! I'd do anything to escape the whims and fancies of the electronic age. I thought to myself, I love the smell of ancient-seasoned paper!

What's worse was having to wake up your father in the middle of the night, disturb his deep sleep and ask him to fix your rebellious computer. Honestly, there were those days I felt like I awakened a big grizzly bear from his hibernation camp. I'd be frightened by an almost animalistic howl. There were times though that the big bear seemed more cuddly, more like a cub I guess. But the same nagging animalistic howls remained.

This was how I got this technophobia, the "electro-phobia". But apple changed all that. I found one best friend that could save me from this boring city...I guess. I'll get back to you on this with another entry It's 10:19pm. my clock, gotta start studying before I fall asleep! (I hate this running thot of the grizzly running after me hungry and distressed)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angelo: Yup, i can attest to Pam's fixation with Mac. Since she started using her Powerbook, she can't take away (tapao) her hands off of it. She's always been a Mac fan since then. She says the PB is not like any other laptop, aesthetically that is.

By the way Pam, I really love the way you write your blog entries. You write with such eloquence and grace. You're really a natural poet.

9:05 PM  
Blogger eros & psyche said...

ei pam, our blog is up already. http://mwnangpi.blogspot.com

so how did your exams go? hay naku, still using the same kind of strategy in hs, crammingnonotesbutstillgettingA's huh?

have fun!

whia

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<