My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore, Philippines

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Magic Realism

~~~~~ Jan 8: ~~~~~

I'm currently reading the book, "One Hundred Years Of Solitude"... The book reminds me a lot about Burton's movie, "Big Fish". Fantasy-&-reality-intertwined is such a cool concept. Magical and supernatural things & events are taken with such cool nonchalance as the ordinary is presented with such awe and wonder. Most often than not it's the latter that brings out the humor especially in the book One Hundred Years... Anyway, I really think that Marquez is a genius in being one of the primemovers of magic realism. This genre is, indeed, an effective literary style in terms of bringing out the universality of any topic, be it historical or political. Well, I speak for myself here, what do you think?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Just a thought: I want to be TinkerBell
(well the Julia Roberts version)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the movie "Big Fish"... But I'm not sure if I'm up to reading 100 years of solitude... I once heard from someone that it's gonna take you a hundred years to finish reading it - and it just kinda stuck! But if you say that it's good, then maybe I'll give it a shot. I'm currently reading "The rule of Four" which is supposed to be similar to Dan Brown's novels... It's pretty good so far! I'll let you know when I'm done reading it. I'll post a review on my xanga.
Sissy, I really appreciate all the encouragement. You couldn't have come at a better time. Just keep on bloggin, ok?
Mwah Mwah!
~sissy

12:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi PAM, this is SUN here. I have been reading your blogs for quite a while, and in fact have been reading them almost the whole day today.I must say that you are one prolific writer. Are you a Mass Comm student? I think you have a flair for the print media. Your writing reflects your maturity of thought and the intensity of your observations and emotions ....all in simple, plain language. I think it's quite an achievement. I must say that you have mastered the english language or else how could one explain the visualization of the incidents and characters of your writings that i experience .... especially the butt groping incident ...... heh heh ...heh.... just kidding ...

2:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i read 100 Years of Solitude back in high school, and i looooved the part about the girl who was fatally attractive--literally fatal hehe. cool.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<